Logitech Harmony Hub
Amazon Echo Dot
Speak To Reach Harmony
Linking Logitech’s Harmony Hub to Amazon’s Echo allows you to use Alexa (Amazon’s voice activated digital assistant) to “open” and “close” any activities you created for your Harmony hub/App/Remote application. Simply say, “Alexa, turn on the TV”, and your TV and all components you included in your “activity” to support watching your television are turned “on”. When you say, “Alexa, turn off the TV”, you guessed it, all the components needed to start the TV activity are turned “off”.
Check Harmony Firmware
I tried several different methods to link my Echo to my Harmony Hub. All failed. Logitech’s online software could not find my Harmony hub. The hub was working fine, so I felt that the problem was with the hub itself. Maybe the hardware was out dated Then I decided to check if the hub’s firmware was current, and it wasn’t. After a few mouse clicks, the firmware was installed and the hub was ready for the link-up. Here is how to tell if you have the correct firmware to link to the Amazon Echo:
Typically, syncing your remote will be enough to update your Harmony software. However, if you’re using older firmware, then you’ll need to first upgrade your firmware to version 4.x. Once complete, syncing your remote will update your software as well (when updates are available).
If you’re not sure which version you’re using, open the Harmony mobile app and navigate to MENU > About > Versions. If your firmware version (or hub software) begins with a 4, then you have full home control capabilities. Otherwise, you’ll need to upgrade to gain access to these features.
Need a firmware update? Here is how to do the update:
Using the Harmony mobile app on your mobile device.
- Launch the app and connect to your Harmony hub.
You’ll require your Harmony email ID and password later during upgrade. If you don’t remember your email ID you may retrieve it now by selecting MENU > ABOUT > VERSION.
- Select MENU > HARMONY SETUP > UPGRADE HUB & REMOTE SOFTWARE.
- Select UPGRADE.
You’ll be prompted to log back into your Harmony account. If you don’t know your password, select “forgot password” and we’ll email you reset instructions.
The upgrade process may take up to 5 minutes and your Harmony will not be responsive during this time. Once complete, you’ll be able to connect to more home control devices, and create new or adjust existing Harmony Activities. To access these new settings, select MENU > HARMONY SETUP > ADD/EDIT DEVICES & ACTIVITIES.
Marrying Harmony and Echo
Now, here is how to connect both the Echo and the Harmony together:
- Using the Amazon Alexa app, navigate to:
Menu > Smart Home > Get More Smart Home Skills and search for Harmony — Optimized for Smart Home.
- Select Enable Skill and you’ll be prompted to enter your Logitech Harmony user credentials.
- If you have more than one Harmony hub-based product, you’ll be asked to select the one you’d like Alexa to control.
- If your hub is not running the latest software version, you’ll be prompted to update your software
- You’re able to set friendly names for each of your Activities. For example, if your Harmony Activity name is “Play a Game”, you might set your friendly names to “Xbox” or “PS4” so you can say, “Alexa, turn on the Xbox.”
- Select the “Add Friendly Name” button beside your Activity to set up one or more names.
- Uncheck the box if you don’t want Alexa to control a particular Activity.
- For your security, Activities containing door locks cannot be controlled by voice and have been removed.
- If you have cable, satellite or a Roku device then you can also allow Alexa to jump directly to those channels.
- For example, “Alexa, turn on sports” would turn on your TV, set your stereo to the correct input and tune your cable box to ESPN.
- Or, “Alexa, turn on the movie channel” could switch over to your Roku and automatically launch HBO.
- Click LINK ACCOUNT at the bottom of your last screen to complete set up.
- Lastly, say, “Alexa, discover devices” so your Echo or Dot will become aware of all your Activities, TV Stations and friendly names.
Did you receive an error?The Alexa app may display an error if the linking process took more than 5 minutes. Don’t worry, all of your favorite names have already been saved. From the Harmony skill description page, select LINK ACCOUNT a second time, enter your Harmony password and navigate through the screens to successfully complete the linking process.
You’re now ready to control your entertainment devices with your voice. Try saying, “Alexa, turn on the TV”.
You can also say, “Alexa, turn off my TV”, or “Alexa, turn off my entertainment center” to power everything off.
 Logitech | How to update your Harmony Software – Using Older Firmware | https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/how-to-update-your-harmony-software
 Logitech | Harmony software upgrade 4 | https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-software-upgrade-4-x#howtoupgrade-mobile
 Logitech | Harmony experience with Amazon Alexa | https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-amazon-alexa